'Students and apprentices receive good-quality careers advice and guidance, which help them make decisions on their next step in education or training, or to employment. Students receive excellent support from tutors with their applications to higher education'
2016 Ofsted Report
Facilities and teaching
Across our five sites, we offer a range of resources to support and enhance your learning, from libraries and IT equipment to specialised facilities for specific subject areas, including:
- fully equipped studios for photography, fashion, textiles, printmaking, painting, sculpture and design
- a new suite of Apple Mac computers complete with up-to-date software
- a 100-seat theatre complete with advanced lighting and music technology equipment
- fully equipped laboratories, including a unique sports science laboratory, a dedicated scene-of-crime lab and a Centre of Excellence for Applied Optics (at the Centre for Applied Sciences).
At City and Islington we keep course sizes low so that you have plenty of face-to-face contact with your teachers. Many of our teaching and lecturing staff are PhDs and experts in their field.
These achievements are born out by 98% pass rate the College achieved in 2014, and by the fact that our success in Level 3 vocational qualifications continues to outstrip the national average.
Learn more about our staff.
The Libraries at City and Islington College provide you with a range of up-to-date electronic, printed and audio-visual resources including books, online databases, e-books and journals, to help you get the most out of your studies. We have photocopying and printing facilities – with your own quota of free printing.
Most importantly, Library staff are always available to support you with your learning. Whether it is to help you find the information you need, to answer an ICT enquiry, access on-line resoures, our friendly staff are here to help.
Learn more about each of the College Centres.
We pride ourselves on being able to provide you with the latest technology and IT equipment.
You can access:
- PCs and Apple Macs complete with up-to-date software packages
- laptops, iPads and other mobile devices
- free WiFi
- your own email account
Moodle (Virtual Learning Environment) and MyCandi (Student Website)
Our Virtual Learning Environment, Moodle, enables you to:
- access learning resources anywhere, anytime within an internet browser
- correspond with your tutor and fellow students via online forums and chat rooms
- submit assignments, complete quizzes, respond to surveys and receive feedback online
- access additional learning materials to help you get more out of your course
- view induction videos, find information on events and receive technical support
- access student services materials including careers, counselling and welfare
- access important E-Safety information and guidance.
Our student website, MyCandi, provides:
- the latest College information and messages
- key contacts
- library links, including the ability to renew items remotely
- timetable information
- College policies and procedures
- information the College holds about you, with the ability to update links to Moodle
Our Library Service Team provides help in the following areas:
- study skills (including reading, note-taking and presentation skills)
- written English (including punctuation and grammatical accuracy)
- academic writing (including how to reference)
- research skills (in conjunction with the library)
- critical thinking and understanding arguments, revision, assessment and examination skills (including time management).
Our Additional Learning and Support Service helps students with additional needs resulting from disabilities such as sensory impairment or learning difficulties such as dyslexia.