Centre for Applied Sciences
If you are passionate about science then you must consider the outstanding opportunities we offer at the Centre for Applied Sciences.
We attract experts from science-based professions and train them to become educators. Our forensic courses are delivered by former crime scene examiners and DNA analysts and our eyewear, eyecare and sports tutors have industry experience. This way, you learn how to apply knowledge in a professional situation, preparing you for progression directly into employment or Higher Education.
95% of students eligible to apply to university at CAS successfully progressed onto a degree. 78% went to their first choice university/degree place (University Progression 2018)
The latest Government Shortage Occupations data (May 2019) demonstrate that CAS students’ progress to many of the degrees in the national careers shortage area that employers struggle to fill.
Our students go on to study a wide range of Degree subjects such as BioSciences (including Neuroscience and Genetics), Engineering (including Civil and Aerospace), Forensics, Law, Nursing and Midwifery, Pharmacy, Sports Sciences and Sport Therapy, Sport Journalism, Teaching, Wildlife Conservation, Veterinary Nursing, Zoology and much more.
What we offer
Based in the heart of Angel, Islington, the Centre offers the facilities, learning environment and teaching excellence that will help you achieve your ambitions in a range of in-demand scientific fields. Courses on offer range from foundation learning to foundation degrees and lead to professions that require specialist scientific knowledge such as forensics, optics, medicine, nursing, sports and fitness training, pharmacy and physiotherapy.
You can read George Zambas' story to see the bold ambitions that can be achieved at this centre.
How to find us
Location map [PDF]
Underground: Angel (Northern Line)
Buses: 4, 19, 30, 38, 43, 56, 73, 153, 205, 214, 274, 341, 394, 476
Access: Ramped access to the building, on-site disabled car park and disabled access to all floors.
• The Centre has over 1200 full-time and part-time students
• 93% of our students that applied to university were successful in 2017
• 95% of Optics students progress to the profession
• Last year 304 students progressed to higher education
• For 2018 Entry we hold 188 offers to Russell Group and/or hard to get into universities. This includes 12 for Exeter, 14 for KCL, 18 for Nottingham, 7 for UCL, 5 for Lancaster, 2 for Loughborough, 3 for Royal Holloway, 4 for St Georges
• We have an exceptionally high retention rate on all our courses
• Students have progressed to competitive Apprenticeships and College Leaver Schemes with employers including TFL, Crossrail and National Grid
• £2 million has recently been invested in superb engineering and sport science facilities
See more key facts about the College.
- First class sport science and engineering facilities.
- Replica crime scenes for Forensics students helping you gain ideal practical experience
- High specification computers, engineering software and modern workshops
- Brand new gym and sport science facilities
- Modern laboratories preparing you for university and employment
- The Animal Management department has a range of species from turtles to snakes to chinchilla’s, giving you practical experience to work in the industry
We believe in a work-life balance for our students and provide opportunities for you to take part in a range of extra-curricular activities, trips and visits to make time at the College productive, enjoyable and fun.
Open Days - Centre for Applied Sciences
At City and Islington College, we want every one of our students to achieve their ambition. Come to our open day to find out how we can help you achieve yours.
Number 1 choice for STEM
Interested in science, technology, engineering and maths? Find out about our successful STEM students.
Search and apply for a course
Campaign for Science and Engineering
Membership of CaSE helps to keep us connected and active members of the science and engineering community.
Meet our staff: CAS
The College has an outstanding reputation for teaching and learning. Read about some of our teachers and support staff at this Centre.