Inspirational Health, Social and Child Care students
Outstanding students from City and Islington College’s Centre for Health, Social and Child Care (CHSCC) have been recognised for their dedication, talent and hard work at an annual awards ceremony.
25 students from each curriculum area were recognised for their achievements, many of whom have overcome difficulties in their personal lives to make it into university and related employment. Sodexo, one of the College's employability partners were also awarded for their work this year.
Centre Director, Helen Kent, opened proceedings, saying: “At this College we passionately believe in the power of education to transform lives and open doors for our students. The winners tonight reflect that and we are very proud of them and want to thank all of you for coming.”
Michelle Griffin, 27, who studied an Access to Higher Education Diploma in Health and Human Sciences at the Centre won the CHSCC Alumna of the Year Award, she said:
“I had been out of education for seven years before I returned to this Centre to take the Access course. After completing it I have graduated to Southbank University to study Adult Nursing, and I can honestly say I would not have got through the first year without the preparation this College gave me."
"“I am proud to be recognised with this award and want to thank the staff at the Centre who listen to you, support you and provide the perfect platform to progress to university”
The Centre based on Holloway Road offers both full-time and part-time courses in child care, youth work, health and social care, counselling, advice and guidance, customer services, hair and beauty, complementary therapies and courses for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
You can follow these links to find a photo gallery of all the award winners at the Centre.
Full List of Award Winners
- Successful Progression into Employment - Ivone Bailes
- Achieving Excellence - Hannah Rosetta Williams
- Young Student of the Year - Rebecca Baeza-Lightfoot
- CHSCC Alumna of the Year - Michelle Griffin
- CHSCC Alumna of the Year - Isha Lewinson
- Maths Prize: 100% Attendance - Miriam Abraha
- Maths Prize: 100% Attendance - Tieah Kamara
- Apprentice of the Year - Charlotte Ford
- Beauty Therapy: 100% Attendance and Punctuality - Sultan Kasapoglu
- Volunteer of the Year - Andonis Akhtar
- Employer Partnership of the Year, Sodexo - Diane Jones
- Centre Prize - Amber Mason
- Centre Prize - Youssouf De Oliviera
- Centre Prize - Lorna Torpey
- Centre Prize - Byron Baker
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Simone Alalade-Bobb
- Commitment to Learning Prize - Tara Buckley
- Commitment to Learning Prize - Liam Hartley-Davies
- Class Rep of the Year - Louise Nugent
- Class Rep of the Year - Benjamin Derin
- Progression into Employment - Sidorela Kurti
- Progression into Employment - Hafsat Ahmed
- Prize for Achievement - Max Carroll
- Progression into Employment - Edla Laura Ferreira
- Library User of the Year - Deborah Ingram
- Library User of the Year - Inass M’Rabet El Ghomari