Visas and Immigration

If you’re not a national of the UK, EU or EEA, and don’t already hold a UK visa, you may need a study visa. You can check if you need a visa to study by visiting and filling in your details.

There are different study visa categories available, and the one for you will depend on your age, and the length, type and level of the course you want to study.

City and Islington College is listed on the Tier 4 Sponsor Register as The WKCIC Group (trading as Capital City College Group) and able to sponsor Tier 4 General and Student Visitor Visas.

Tier 4 General Visas

In order to apply for a Tier 4 General Visa, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) number from us. A CAS can be issued when we are within three months of the course start date.

We will issue you a CAS when:

  • You have an unconditional offer letter
  • You have provided us with copies of all evidence required to support your visa application
  • You have paid the tuition fees for the first year of your course

Visa application cost and processing times for Tier 4

If you already hold a UK visa and aren’t sure if it’s suitable to study in the UK, we can advise you.

Immigration Health Surcharge 

As part of your immigration application, you will be asked to pay for an Immigration Health Surcharge. To find out whether you need to pay an immigration health surcharge, and how much this will be, please follow the instructions on the online surcharge calculator.

Short-term Study Visas

Short-term study visas allow students to study in the UK for periods of 6 months or less, or 11 months if you are aged 18 and over and studying an English language course.

For more information on short term study visas, please visit

Important information

UK visas and immigration rules change frequently. It is important that you research carefully how to apply for the type of visa you will need and what you will need to include in your application. The following are links to information to help you with this:

  • UKVI (United Kingdom Visas and Immigration)
    This is the official webpage of the UK government visas and immigration services, and you will be able to find guidance on student visa applications as well as everything else you need to know about UK immigration rules. 
    The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK’s national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them. They provide advice and guidance to international students on a variety of topics, such as immigration rules, visa applications and living and working in the UK. 
  • Education UK 
    This website provides information for international students about studying in the UK, as well as courses, scholarships, student life in the UK and events in the UK and overseas.

We encourage you to consult the UKVI website for the most up-to-date information. An immigration advisor, or an education agent, in your country may also be able to help.

If you have any questions regarding visas and immigration please contact

Centre for Business, Arts
and Technology
444 Camden Road
N7 0SP
Map & Information
Sixth Form College
283-309 Goswell Road
Map & Information
Centre for Health, Social
and Childcare
Marlborough Building
383 Holloway Road N7 0RN
Map & Information
Centre for Lifelong Learning
28-42 Blackstock Road
Finsbury Park
N4 2DG
Map & Information
Centre for Applied Sciences
311-321 Goswell Road
Map & Information
020 7700 9200
* indicates required
/ / ( dd / mm / yyyy )
Consent for future contact