AAT Accounting and Payroll Introduction: IAB Payroll - Level 1 Access Award
About the course
The Level 1 Award in Payroll qualification provides learners with a comprehensive range of knowledge and the practical skills they will be able to use as a payroll processor at a variety of businesses. There are no formal entry requirements for the Level 1 Award in Payroll qualification, however, it is recommended that prospective entrants have basic skills in numeracy and literacy.
This award is suitable for:
- Individuals who are keen to gain an understanding of basic payroll procedures and also those who wish to become professional payroll processors
- Individuals who are new to payroll and who wish to acquire the skills and knowledge required of payroll clerks prior to employment
- Individuals who wish to understand the PAYE system in a computerised environment for their own interest
- Individuals who would like to return to work and wish to add a basic understanding of computerised payroll to their skills
- Individuals who are already employed in payroll processing or allied roles and wish to augment this knowledge with an accredited qualification in computerised payroll
Students will have the skills required to prepare, check, and use source documents from which the payroll is processed. Here they will use a computerised payroll system as dictated by Real Time Information requirements. Students will also learn to develop skills that will enable them to gather the required information in order to prepare an employee payroll record using either the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools kit or commercially available payroll software. Students will learn to calculate the gross pay due to employees from a simple range of information sources and for either weekly or monthly pay periods.
- Act as an introduction to payroll record keeping and processing, giving the candidate the necessary skills to record financial payroll transactions in a manual and computerised environment and in line with Real Time Information requirements.
- Give candidates the necessary skills to assess their own competence in carrying out a range of basic day-to-day payroll routines and activities using a manual and computerised payroll system. The activities will include the calculation of pay data and processing of that data including contributions to work based pension schemes using basic day-to-day payroll processing skills.
- Give candidates the necessary skills to assess the implications of maintaining accuracy when performing any practical payroll tasks.
- Understand the importance of security and confidentiality in performing any payroll task. Learners successfully completing the qualification will have a knowledge and understanding of the services, advice and guidance that can be offered to businesses by HMRC, NICO and other payroll agencies.
To gain the IAB Level 1 Award in Payroll learners will be required to complete the following assessments:
- Payroll Preparation Knowledge Test
- Calculation of Gross Pay Assignment
- Payroll Processing Assignment
- Computerised Payroll Assignment
Upon successful completion of this qualification you could move onto one of the following:
•Level 2 Award in Computerised Payroll
•Level 2 Certificate in Payroll
Further Information 1
If you require any further information please visit our awarding body website
For IAB details, ring 01732 458080 or visit www.iab.org.uk. or please contact our customer team.
Most of our Entry Level, Level 1 and Level 2 courses are FREE to those aged 19+. Please enquire for further information.