Find out more about the courses and levels offered at City and Islington College
A Level History allows you to utilise skills in analysing, researching, communicating and problem-solving. You will develop an understanding of historical terms, concepts and skills, allowing you to understand how events in the past have influenced the world around us today. This intensive two-year course focuses on modern history from the eighteenth century to the present day. Ranging from North America to India, the course puts special emphasis on the events of the twentieth century.
In the first year, the focus of your study will be on the search for rights, freedoms and greater equality in the twentieth century. You will examine the impact of these demands on the United States 1917–96, as previously excluded groups pressed for the fulfilment of the promise of the American Dream, and on India 1914 - 48 where rising nationalism clashed with imperial rule.
In the second year you will broaden your historical understanding through the examination of how Britain lost a large part of its North American empire in the late eighteenth century but then built an empire in Asia, Africa and the Americas. The second year also has a coursework component enabling you to develop your independent research and writing skills.
You will need:
If you wish to study 4 A Levels, you will need 7 GCSEs at grade 7 or above, including two at grade 8.
All applicants must have an interview to confirm that A Levels are suitable for them.
20% of your final mark will be based on coursework you complete in your second year; the remaining 80% is based on written exams.
If you will be aged 16, 17 or 18 on 31 August in the year you begin your course, and have been resident in the UK/EU/EEA for the past 3 years, it will be free. Some courses will have other costs associated, such as for materials and trips. Many of our students are eligible for financial support when studying at college – please click here for more information.
A Levels are widely regarded as the standard entry qualification for top universities in the UK, and the rest of the world. Many of our students go onto study for a degree at the university of their choice, with some choosing to progress into apprenticeships or other employment.