Applying to Candi FAQs

How do I apply for a course at City and Islington College?

You can apply for most of our courses online using our basket and Online Applications portal - it works just like your favourite online shop. You can find step-by-step instructions here.

For Higher Education courses you’ll need to apply through UCAS - you can find more information about UCAS applications here.

How do I apply for a Higher Education course through UCAS?

You can find more information about UCAS applications here.

What if I haven’t got time to complete my application in one go?

No problem. We understand you might want to spend a bit more time thinking about some of your answers. Just click 'Save' and 'Log off' at any point, then log back in when you’re ready to carry on. 

I’ve submitted my application. What will happen next?

You will receive an acknowledgement email to confirm successful submission of your application.  Thereafter an interview will be arranged and you will be emailed the details.  Please allow up to 6-8 weeks for information about interviews.  Our interviews normally start from January onwards.

What is the deadline for submitting applications for courses starting in September?

Applications (including a completed reference) for A Levels, must be received by 31 January.

UCAS applications for Higher Education courses must be submitted by 30 June. Applications received after this date will be taken as Clearing applications.

For all other courses, we recommend you submit your application by June to secure your place. If we receive your application after June we may not be able to invite you for an interview, in which case you will be invited to attend our Open Enrolment sessions in September.

What if I have missed the deadline date?

For A Level courses we will consider applications received after the deadline date if there are spaces available on the subjects that you have chosen.

If you have missed the UCAS deadline for Higher Education Courses you can apply through Clearing.

For all other courses, you can attend our Ope Enrolment sessions in September. 

I’ve asked my school for a reference but they haven’t given one yet – can I send in my application without it?

We will process your application without a reference, however you’ll need to provide a fully completed reference form when you attend your interview.

For Sixth Form College applicants only:
You must ensure a fully completed reference is submitted by 31 January in order to be considered for an interview. We will only accept applications after this date if there are places available on your chosen course.

How can I check the progress of my application?

If you have not heard from us or are unable to book an interview by logging into your online account within 8 weeks of applying, please  email us at

I’ve made an application but I’ve changed my mind about what course I want to do. Can I change it?

Yes of course. You can email our Admissions team at to let us know what you would like to apply for. Please be sure to include your City and Islington College ID (if you have this), your full name and your date of birth in your email. This will help us to locate your application form.

How can I change the details on an application I have already submitted online?

Email the admissions team on with:

  • Your full name
  • Date of birth
  • Application Reference (if you know it)
  • Details of what you would like to remove/add

What happens after I've submitted my College application online?

If you've applied online to study with us, we'll contact you by email to invite you to an interview. It is really important that your e-mail address is correct.  If you are unsure please contact us to confirm.  For some courses, a decision may be made based on the information in your application and an interview will not be necessary, therefore take your time completing your personal statement.

When are interviews for course places held?

  • For A Levels at the Sixth Form College: If we receive your application by 31 January, and you meet the entry requirements, you will be contacted mid/late February to be invited to an interview that takes place mid-March. We will also offer some interviews in December for early applicants.
  • For courses at the Centre for Applied Sciences interviews take place in February, March, April and June.
  • For courses at the Centre for Business, Arts and Technology interviews take place monthly from January to May.
  • For courses at the Centre for Health, Social and Child Care interviews take place monthly from January to June.
  • For courses at the Centre for Lifelong Learning interviews may include a short test so that we can assess your level and place you on the best course for you.

What do I need to think about for my interview?

  • Prior to your interview, you’ll receive an invitation that will tell you what you need to bring with you e.g. identification, qualification certificates, employer reference.
  • Don’t be late. But if you are late, ring the number on your interview letter so that we can rearrange your interview.
  • If you have applied for a Performing Arts course, you will have an audition as well as an interview. Make sure you're dressed appropriately for the audition.
  • Remember that it’s normal to be nervous. Make a mental list of your achievements and don’t be tempted to embellish on the day!
  • Let your interviewer know if you have any special educational needs or disabilities, and don’t be afraid to ask questions about any aspect of the course.
  • Be enthusiastic!

Read our blog for more tips for preparing for a college interview and what to expect.

How do I apply for a Further Education (FE) or Higher Education (HE) student loan?

If you are aged 19+ and you want to study on a Further Education (FE) course and you already have a Level 3, Level 4 or Level 5 qualification then you will have to pay fees for your course.

f you are aged 19 or over and want to study an Access to Higher Education Diploma, a Level 3 -6 Certificate or Diploma, there is help available to fund your course through the government's Advanced Learner Loans scheme. Find out more here.

If you are planning to study on one of our Higher Education courses you will have to pay fees for the course or apply for a Student Finance England (SFE) loan. You will find all the information you need at

This includes information on eligibility for a Maintenance Loan, Disability Grant and other types of financial support you may be able to apply for.

If you are applying for tuition fees loans and maintenance loans through Student Finance England, you will need to use our legal name of WKCIC Group.


Why choose us?

Why choose us?

City and Islington offers excellent teaching, an unbeatable central London location, great facilities and affordable accommodation.

How to apply

How to apply

Applying for a course with us couldn't be easier, just click the 'Add to basket' button and fill out your details. Find out more here.

Chat Now

Chat Now

* indicates required
/ / ( dd / mm / yyyy )
Please tick here to confirm we can contact you