Fashion and Textiles Student Creates Stunning Coronavirus Face Coverings

A fashion and textiles student has designed her own unique collection of Covid-19 face coverings during lockdown. Lia Penelope, 26, made them from her own fabric designs that she printed at home and then ironed onto the material, and even decorated one with fake pearls.

She said: “The whole coronavirus situation is quite incredible. My main motivation for making the face masks was not to give up in lockdown. I wanted to keep up my creativity and make something positive out of this situation.”

Face covering

Lia produced the designs while studying at CANDI and taught other students how to make their own during a class on Microsoft Teams.

Lia, from Haringey, north London, said: “I want to be a textile artist. I like to play with fabric and apply patterns and textures. It’s a way I can really express myself and make a statement.

“My teachers have been amazing. Without their feedback and support I would not have been able to do everything I wanted to this year. They worked with me on ideas, helped me develop my projects and built up my confidence.”

Face Covering - Evening Standard Newsprint and Pattern

Our one-year Art and Design: Fashion/Textiles Pathway – Level 3 Foundation Diploma is validated by the University of the Arts, London (UAL) and covers fashion illustration, colour work, design development, contemporary art, traditional skills and innovative techniques.

Students also participate in an end-of-year exhibition of their work.

Isatu Taylor, Curriculum Leader for Visual Arts, said: “Lia produced the masks as an extension of her normal studies, and has been so successful she is now making them for other people.

Face covering

“She is a wonderfully talented student with a real flair for design, and I am sure she has a huge career ahead of her in the art and fashion industry.”

See all of our Art and Design courses and apply for September 2020 here.

OUR CENTRES
Centre for Business, Arts
and Technology
444 Camden Road
N7 0SP
Map & Information
Sixth Form College
Angel
283-309 Goswell Road
EC1V 7LA
Map & Information
Centre for Health, Social
and Childcare
Marlborough Building
383 Holloway Road N7 0RN
Map & Information
Centre for Lifelong Learning
28-42 Blackstock Road
Finsbury Park
N4 2DG
Map & Information
Centre for Applied Sciences
Angel
311-321 Goswell Road
EC1V 7DD
Map & Information
GET IN TOUCH
020 7700 9200
ajax-loader
* indicates required
/ / ( dd / mm / yyyy )
Consent for future contact