Advanced Learner Loans
If you are aged 19 or over and want to study an Access to Higher Education Diploma, a Level 3 -6 Certificate or Diploma, there is help available to fund your course.
The Advanced Learner Loans:
- are easy to apply for
- have low rate of interest
- don’t take your household income into account
- don’t involve a credit check
Did you know that…
You don’t have to make any repayments until you start earning over £25,000 a year.
There is a maximum amount of loan available to you based on the type of qualification you are studying and its fee. You will be advised by the Learner Experience team of this amount. You can apply for a loan for the maximum amount to cover your tuition fees or you can pay all or part of the tuition fees yourself.
The minimum amount you can apply for is £300. You will be liable to pay the balance of fees yourself. The Advanced Learner Loan only covers the tuition fees you are being charged by the College. However, you could apply for a Bursary to provide financial support for course related costs if you are facing financial hardship.
If you are not a UK national, you will need to provide evidence of your status, for example passport and documentary proof of eligibility and residency inside the UK, such as a Biometric Card. You will need to provide original documents with your applications, photocopies will not be accepted.
You will also need to provide a valid National Insurance (NI) number in order for the loan to be paid to the College on your behalf.
If you get a loan to cover tuition fees for an Access to Higher Education Diploma and then complete a relevant Higher Education course, you won’t have to repay the loan for the Access course.
To be eligible for the Advanced Learner Loan you need to be:
- aged 19 or over on the first day of your course.
- starting your course on or after 1 August 2018
- enrolling on an eligible Further Education Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 qualification, such as an Access to HE Diploma, other Diploma or Certificate, Advanced Apprenticeship or Higher Apprenticeship.
- living in the UK on the first day of your course
- have been living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course prior to the start of your course
You may also be eligible depending on your nationality or residency status. Please click here for more details.
Applying for a Loan
You can apply for a loan from May 2018 for courses starting between 1 August 2018 and 31 July 2019.
When you have been offered a place at the College for an eligible course, you will receive a Funding and Information letter from the College’s Admission Team with information that you will need to include in your application to the loan company.
Once you have received the letter, you’ll need to register and apply online
You can apply by post if you wish and forms can be downloaded from the government website along with more information about how to apply.
More information about Advanced Learner Loans
- Information on Gov.uk
- Student Loans Company
- Money Advice Service
- Your nearest Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB)
- National Association of Student Money Advisers (NASMA)
- AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting L3
- AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting L4
- Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care (Adults) for England (QCF)
- Beauty Therapy - Level 3 Diploma
- Business- Access to Higher Education Diploma
- CELTA Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
- Computing - Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Counselling Studies - CPCAB Level 3 Certificate
- Contact Lenses Part 1 – Theory
- CIPD Level 5 Intermediate Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Crime Scene and Forensic Investigation BSc (Hons) 1 Year Top-Up
- Early Years Workforce (Early Years Educator) - CACHE Level 3 Diploma
- Education and Training – Award
- English as a Foreign Language - Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Fine Art Pathway UAL Foundation Diploma
- Forensic Science - Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Health and Human Sciences - Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Health and Social Care HNC
- Health and Social Care HND
- HNC/D Healthcare Practice (Healthcare Management)
- IT - BTEC Level 3 90 Credit Diploma
- Fine Art Pathway UAL Foundation Diploma
- CIPD Level 3 Diploma in Human Resources Practice (QCF)
- Make-up Artistry - Level 3 Diploma
- Medicine & Medical Bio Sciences - Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Diploma in Ophthalmic Dispensing
- Personal Training with Strength and Conditioning BSc (Hons) 1 Year Top-Up
- Physical Education and Coaching BSc (Hons) 1 Year Top-Up
- Level 4 Art Therapy
- Leadership and Management ILM
- Initial Year Optometry
- Preparation for Access - Skills Development
- Social Work - Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Sports Science - Access to Higher Education
- Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools - CACHE Level 3 Certificate
- Therapeutic Counselling
- Textiles with Fashion Pathway UAL Foundation Diploma
- Veterinary Nursing Apprenticeship - Level 3 Diploma
Returning to Education
Think it isn't possible? Read how our inspiring students made it happen.
Let your children spend the day at our College nurseries while you're in lessons. Take a look at the childcare facilities we offer here.
Access to HE
Didn't study A Levels but want to go to university? Access courses will help you achieve your ambition.