City and Islington College

You are here: Home > 16-18 > Financial Support

Financial Support

Financial Support for Young People Starting College in September 2014

Please note: the below information is applicable to the academic year 2014/15. For the next year these details may change.

Financial Help for Students Aged 16 to 18

What is the Bursary Fund?

Who can apply?

How and when to apply for the 16-18 Bursary fund?

What other support is available?

Islington Year 12 Bursary

Southwark Education Maintenance Supplement (SEMS)


Financial Help for Students Aged 16 to 18

This page explains the financial support available to 16-18 year old 'Home' [UK/European Union] students at City and Islington College. Our aim is to enable you to come to College and achieve your aspirations and ambitions. We understand that coming to college can place a strain on your finances: at City and Islington College we pride ourselves on the high level of care and support we provide our students. If you are worried about how to pay for the associated cost of studying (i.e. travel, childcare or other costs), please read through this information which explains the financial support available to eligible students. The City and Islington College bursary scheme is available to young people studying at the College. Bursary payments range from £300.00 to £1,200.00 per year and are intended to be used for college related costs such as travel and course-related books, materials, trips and visits.

What is the Bursary Fund?

The 16-18 Bursary Fund is an annual fund the college receives from the Education Funding Agency (EFA) to help young people who face the greatest financial barriers to participation in education, with course-related costs that may arise during the course of their learning. These include essentials like a meal during the day or travel to and from the college, course books, uniforms, and hair and beauty kits or to pay for trips and educational visits. There are two types of bursaries: Mandatory and Discretionary
Bursary. Bursaries do not need to be repaid as long as you remain enrolled at the College, maintain good behaviour and a minimum attendance rate of 90% throughout your course. These bursaries are not available to students on waged Apprenticeship programmes.

Mandatory bursary awards up to £1,200 if you can provide evidence that you:

  • Are in local authority care or you have recently left local authority care; or
  • Receive Income Support (IS) in your own name; or
  • Are disabled and receive both Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your own name

Local authority care provision excludes private fostering, as this is a private arrangement.

Discretionary bursary you could apply for a discretionary bursary of up to £600 if you aren’t eligible for a mandatory bursary but you need financial help to meet the additional costs of learning while studying at the college. You will have to provide evidence that:

1. A parent, guardian or carer is in receipt of a means tested benefit to include:

  • Income Support (IS)
  • Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Incapacity Benefit (IB)
  • Tax Credits 2013/14
  • The Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit


2.You are in receipt of any of the following:

  • Local Authority Subsistence (and homeless)
  • A means tested benefit such as JSA
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Free School Meals in Year 11

Who can apply?

Please note that eligibility for funding is not a guarantee for funding.

To apply for a bursary:

  • You must be at least 16 or over and under 19 at the start of the 2014/15 academic year being the 31 August 2014.
  • You must also be enrolled on a full-time or part-time course funded through the Education Funding Agency (EFA) at City and Islington College.

Students aged 19 or over (even where you are a continuing student on a two year course), may be eligible for financial support from the 19+ DLS or the 24+ Advance Learner Loans Bursary if in receipt of the 24+ Advance Learner Loans.

  • You must meet the residency criteria which states that you:

- are a citizen of the United Kingdom and Islands, have Right of Abode (the right to live permanently in the United Kingdom without any immigration restrictions), or are a citizen of a country that is within the European Economic Area (EEA)

- have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and Islands or the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) continuously for at least the previous three years on the first day of learning

  • If your parent, guardian or carer has any of the statuses listed below, you are eligible for funding.

- Right of Abode
- Refugee Status
- Discretionary Leave to Enter
- Discretionary Leave to Remain
- Exceptional Leave to Enter
- Exceptional Leave to Remain
- Indefinite Leave to Enter
- Indefinite Leave to Remain
- Humanitarian protection

  • As an Asylum seeker, you are eligible for funding if you:

- have legally been in the UK while your claim is being considered by the Home Office for longer than six months and no decision has been made, or

- are in the care of the local authority and are receiving local authority support under s23C or s23CA Children Act 1989 or s21 National Assistance Act 1948.

  • Students refused asylum will also be eligible if you:

- appeal against a decision made by the UK Government against granting refugee status and no decision has been made within six months of lodging the appeal, or

- are granted support under section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.

  • Children of Refugees recognised by the UK Government are eligible for funding.
  • Children of a lawfully employed Turkish worker are eligible if:

- Turkish worker has been ordinarily resident in the UK
- Turkish worker is, or has been, lawfully employed in the UK, and
- Child has been ordinarily resident in the EEA or Turkey for the full three-year period before the start of their learning in the College.

How and when to apply for the 16-18 Bursary fund?

Applications forms are available at the general office or you can download the application form here Bursary Form 2014/15.

You should make an application as soon as you have enrolled on a course. The sooner you apply, the sooner you will start to receive support. The deadline for the first bursary payment is 26th September 2014.

  • Forms received after this date will be processed for a first payment after half term of term one or as received.
  • Attendance is monitored and checked prior to payments being made; students with poor attendance will have their award payment withdrawn.

What other support is available?

Learning Essentials

These are additional costs of learning to cover your course materials, equipment, educational trips, auditions and travel to attend university interviews. Students in receipt of a bursary or Free School Meals in Year 11 will be eligible for financial support to meet these costs. All requests for learning essentials are made through the course tutor.

Emergency Hardship

There are occasions when a student may find themselves in exceptional financial hardship. In these instances, our Student Services team will assess the level of hardship and award emergency funds as appropriate. They may also provide short-term support of up to six weeks if required. You do not need to provide evidence of household income to apply for emergency funds.


If you are a young parent you may apply for financial support towards childcare through the government’s Care to Learn (C2L) scheme. The scheme can pay up to £175 a week for each child. Childcare payments are made directly to the childcare provider and any travel payments are made to the college, and the Student Finance team will then pay you directly.
For an application pack visit the general office or contact the Learner Support Service on 0800 121 8989 and for information visit

Borough Support Schemes

In addition to these support schemes, there are financial maintenance grants and bursaries that are offered by local boroughs if you wish to study at City and Islington College. If you meet the criteria (as specified on the next page) you can claim this support regardless of where you decide to study. See the back page for more information.

Islington Year 12 Bursary

External Grants and Bursaries

Islington Year 12 Bursary: gives teenagers up to £300 a year to help them start further education. To qualify for the bursary students must:

- be an Islington resident*
- have received free school meals in year 11
- have moved immediately into post 16 education without taking a break and
- be studying full time

How do I apply?

If you went to an Islington school in Year 11 and are currently studying at City and Islington College there is no application process and you will be notified of your entitlement.

If you did not attend an Islington school in Year 11 and/or do not attend a further education provider in Islington, please contact the Free School Meals Team on 020 7527 5483 or 020 7527 4336 or the Family Information Service on 020 7527 5959 or email You will need to complete and return an Islington Year 12 Bursary form before 19 December 2014. You will be notified if your application is successful by 6 February 2015.

Southwark Education Maintenance Supplement (SEMS)

Provides support to young people to stay on in education and improve their job opportunities. Students aged 16-18, resident in Southwark, who were eligible for free school meals in Year 11 and who are not receiving the £1,200 16-18 Mandatory bursary can apply.

How do I apply?

Application forms are available within the College at the general office, mycandi or Student Services Team. The criteria you have to meet are that you are:

  • 16-18 years old
  • resident in Southwark
  • not receiving the £1,200 16-18 Mandatory bursary
  • eligible for free school meals and/or a parent, a guardian or carer, is in receipt of one of the following:
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Job Seekers Allowance (JSA).
  • Employment Support Allowance (ESA).
  • The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
  • Tax Credits.

Tower Hamlets Mayor's Education Award (MEA)

The Mayor’s Education Award replaces the support that was provided by the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA), which was scrapped in 2010/11. The Mayor’s Education Award awards £400 a year to help young people with the additional costs of studying to include books, a travel card or money to pay for field trips.

How do I apply?

Apply directly to the Council or by contacting Tower Hamlets Council's Benefit Team on 020 7364 5001

To receive the Mayor’s Education Award, you need to:

  • be 16 to 19 years old on 1 September 2014
  • have been living in Tower Hamlets for at least three years
  • be attending school or college
  • come from a family with a household income of less than £20,817


  • Students are advised to apply for the council grants and bursaries as soon as possible, as they often have early deadlines.
  • Successful applicants from the last academic year (2013–2014) who are still attending college must apply again for the 2014/15 academic year.
  • Payments are usually made in two instalments, one in January and one in April.

This maintenance supplement is available to all eligible students regardless of where they choose to study.