Studying at the College
Many of our teaching and support staff have first-hand experience of working in the fields they teach. By sharing this practical knowledge in class, students gain invaluable insight into the world of work.
"The teaching staff delivering the course are all industry experts with a wealth of experience in Crime Scene and Forensic disciplines. I enjoy watching students develop as indivuduals, as well as developing the diverse skills set in such an amazing subject."
Gareth Dineen, Course Manager, Crime Scene and Forensic Investigation FdSc
At City and Islington College, we've launched a brand new hub especially for our HE students. Located at the Centre for Business, Arts and Technology, the space has been designed around you, creating an environment where you can socialise as well as access support, the library and quiet study areas.
We offer a range of resources to support and enhance your learning, from libraries and IT equipment to specialised facilities for specific subject areas, including:
- fully equipped studios for photography, fashion, textiles, printmaking, painting, sculpture and design
- a new suite of Apple Mac computers complete with up-to-date software
- a 100-seat theatre complete with advanced theatre and music technology equipment
fully equipped laboratories, including a unique sports science laboratory, a dedicated scene-of-crime and a Centre of Excellence for applied optics (at the Centre for Applied Sciences).
There is a library at each of the main College Centres, providing a range of resources, information services and open access IT facilities to support your studies, including:
- books and journals
- photocopying and printing facilities – with your own quota of free printing
- audio equipment
- careers guidance materials.
We deliver induction workshops to help you make the most of the resources and services available to you, and our staff are always available if you need any help.
We pride ourselves on being able to provide you with the latest technology and IT equipment.
You can access:
- PCs and Apple Macs complete with up-to-date software packages
- Laptops, iPod Touches and other mobile devices
- free WiFi
- your own email account.
Moodle (Virtual Learning Environment) and MyCandi (Student Website)
Our Virtual Learning Environment, Moodle, enables you to:
- access learning resources anywhere, anytime within an internet browser
- correspond with your tutor and fellow students via online forums and chat rooms
- submit assignments, complete quizzes, respond to surveys and receive feedback online
- access additional learning materials to help you get more out of your course
- view induction videos, find information on events and receive technical support
- access student services materials including careers, counselling and welfare
- access important E-Safety information and guidance.
Our student website, MyCandi, provides:
- the latest College information and messages
- useful key contacts
- library links, including the ability to renew items
- timetable information
- College policies and procedures
- information the College holds about you, and the ability to make changes
- links to Moodle
Also, if you are studying on a course awarded by one of our partner universities, you can use a range of their facilities too!
In the end-of-year survey for 2011/12, our HE students told us how delighted they were, saying:
“I would recommend the course to a friend.” (92%)
“Individual tutorials are helpful.” (92%)
“I enjoy coming to College.” (93%)
“Staff treat me with respect.” (94%)