Supervision Counselling - CPCAB Level 6
About the course
Are you an experienced counsellor who would like to practise as a Clinical Supervisor? This course teaches the skills of supervision that you need to do just that.
This qualification is for experienced counsellors and psychotherapists who want to learn the skills of supervision in order to practice as a clinical supervisor. The counselor /therapist needs to have post qualifying experience in their own clinical practice under supervision, at least 450 hours. Participants will need to be working as a supervisor or have secured a placement as a clinical supervisor.
You will need to have experience of working in your own clinical practice under supervision, and have supervisees or potential supervisees within that practice.
You will need to have either:
- CPCAB Level 5 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling or CPCAB Level 5 Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapeutic Skills and Theory. In addition, you will need at least one year's post-qualifying experience of supervised clinical work as well as approximately 450 hours of clinical experience overall.
- CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling. In addition, you will need at least two years post-qualifying experience of supervised clinical work as well as approximately 450 hours of clinical experience overall.
The Certificate in Therapeutic Counselling Supervision will equip you to manage the fundamental aspects of the clinical supervisor¿s role. The course will have an emphasis on the development of your own coherent model for supervision, using theories introduced and your own reading and research to inform your practice.
Learning at this level will be collegiate, collaborative and creative, allowing opportunity for self and professional development, and a deepening of your theoretical understanding, as it both informs and underpins your practice.
There will be opportunity for developing your capacity for working creatively with both groups and individuals in supervision, which is additional to the course requirements.
The course is assessed as follows:
- On going assessments through self, peer and tutor feedback
- All modules are assessed through course work and an externally submitted Case Study
- Assignments include essays, presentations and reflective journals
Each portfolio MUST include:
- Learning review
- Supervisee record (15 hours)
- Supervisory supervision record (5 hours)
- 2 written assignments (2,500 words)
- Self-review x 2
- 1 tutor observed supervision practice session
- 1 case presentation.
On successful completion, you will achieve the CPCAB Level 6 Certificate in Therapeutic Counselling Supervision, awarded by the Counselling and Psychology Central Awarding Body.
You will be qualified to work as a Therapeutic Counsellor Supervisor.
Further Information 2
The College have been like a family to me ever since I walked in the door
Studied: Diploma in Counselling
Destination: Now works as a clinical supervisor working to rehabilitate substance misusers
At a very low point in her life, while trying to overcome a serious assault, Tracy could no longer carry on her job due to her injuries. She came to the College to work out her options.
“I was so nervous as I’m dyslexic, did not have any GCSEs, and had been out of education for a long time but the careers team were brilliant. Bit by bit I built up my skills and experience from studying counselling theory to therapeutic and psycho therapeutic diplomas.
“I now own my own counselling service and manage volunteers supporting substance misusers. I am a creative clinical supervisor and council and use hypnotherapy with clients across the world on Skype. I also teach at the College who have been like a family to me ever since I walked in the door.”
Select your preferred start date
Come to an Open Day
Thinking about studying with us? Come and meet staff and students, and see for yourself what we can offer you.
Centre for Health, Social and Child Care
This Centre on Holloway Road is a Centre of excellence for Beauty Therapy, Child Care, Hairdressing, Health and Social Care and Supported Learning.
How to apply
Applying for a course with us couldn't be easier, just click the 'Add to basket' button and fill out your details. Find out more here.