Physical Education and Football Coaching with Arsenal in the Community FdSc
About the course
UCAS Code: CX6D (View this course on UCAS) | UCAS Institution Code: L68
Enjoy playing football? Have some experience of coaching sport? Keenly interested in education, mentoring and coaching young people? This two-year full-time Foundation Degree in association with Arsenal in the Community will allow you to take your own interests further while helping the community.
You will need 64 UCAS points from one of the following:
- 2 A Levels, including Grade C in Biology, Physical Education or Human Biology
- BTEC National Diploma in Sports and Exercise Science, or related area with a Merit, Pass, Pass (MPP) profile
- BTEC National Certificate with a Merit, Merit (MM) profile
- A recognised Access to Higher Education Certificate in a related subject
- GCSE English Language and Mathematics Grade C, or equivalent
- FA Level 1 Football Coaching Award
- Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (formally CRB) clearance is essential
- Students for whom English is a second language are required to pass the IELTS test achieving a minimum of level 6.
Relevant practical experience and evidence of enthusiasm and commitment are valuable. In your application, include any voluntary or paid experience and/or formal training. The assessment activities during the application process will determine whether this is an appropriate level qualification for you.
Applicants who do not meet these entry criteria will be considered based on equivalent qualifications, previous experience, a College assessment and an applicant interview.
This course aims to strike the right balance between acquiring knowledge and developing practical skills, the course is tailored to today's community coaching sector.
During your studies, you will benefit from an experienced course team with expertise in many aspects of football and community sports coaching, as well as input from a top premiership football club.
Year 1 topics include:
- Community Football Coaching I (with Arsenal FC)
- Sports Psychology in Coaching
- Anatomy and Physiology for Sport and Exercise
- Sports Conditioning and Testing
Year 2 topics include:
- Community Football Coaching II (with Arsenal FC)
- Coaching Multi-Sports
- Research Proposal in Sport and Exercise
- Physical Education
- Principles of Effective Coaching and Teaching
Find out more about the course content, aims and outcomes: Download the course specification [PDF]
You will coach children in schools for one afternoon per week, organised by Arsenal in the Community. You will also take part in lectures, practical sessions, project work and tutorials. Assessment is by practical examinations, written coursework, presentations and occasional written tests.
Successful completion of the course will enable you to progress to the BSc (Hons) Physical Education and Coaching at City and Islington College top-up year. It is also the ideal preparation for a career in PE teaching, sports coaching or Sports Science.