About the course
This practical course develops the skills you need for a successful career in professional photography.
- Learn from a course team with a wealth of professional experience, many of whom are practicing artists in their own field.
- Gain real-world insight from specialist guest speakers and visits to commercial businesses and practitioners,
- Organise events to showcase work to a wider audience, including graduation exhibitions, and competitions.
You will develop skills using 35mm SLR and DSLR, medium format film and digital cameras, large format cameras, studio photography, studio lighting, professional quality inkjet printing, advanced Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom and Capture.
64 UCAS points from one, or a combination of the following:
- A Levels in related subjects at Grade C
- BTEC National or Extended Diploma at MPP
- BTEC Level 3 National Certificate or Diploma at MM
- Access to Higher Education Diploma (subject related) at Pass
- A portfolio of 12 digital photographs
- A successful interview in person or via Skype
- 4 GCSEs at Grade C, including Maths or Science, and English
Please note, Functional Skills Maths and English at Level 2 or Key Skills Application of Number and Communication at Level 2 will be accepted in place of GCSE English and Maths.
Applicants who do not meet these entry criteria will be considered based on equivalent qualifications, previous experience, a College assessment, applicant interview and a portfolio of relevant work.
- Photographic Techniques and Location Photography
- Digital Image Creation and Development
- Studio Techniques and Professional Practice
- Visual Language and Historical Context
- Ideas Generation and Development
- Contextual and Cultural Studies
- Visual Communication
On successful completion of the course, you will get a Higher National Certificate in Photography.
Following this course, you can apply to further courses at UK universities or find employment in the creative industries in roles. You may also pursue careers such as Commercial Photographer, Photographer's Assistant, Digital Re-toucher, Picture Editor/Researcher, Museum/Gallery Assistant, Curator, Advertising Agency Creative, Photography Technician.