Medicine & Medical Bio Sciences - Access to Higher Education Diploma
About the course
If you are a mature student (19+) with an interest in medicine or medically related sciences, this course could be for you. It's geared toward people with life experience and enthusiasm who want to enter Higher Education, but who don't yet have the formal qualifications necessary.
- You must be a mature student (19+) at the start of the course, with more than 2 weeks work experience.
- You are required to hold a GCSE English and maths, grade `C or above, or equivalent, on commencement of the course (this could be higher depending on your degree choice).
- You do not need any formal qualifications in Science, but need to demonstrate an aptitude and strong interest in your chosen pathway.
- Photo I.D. will be required at all stages of the application process.
- Applicants who fulfil the above criteria will be invited to take a 1 hour computer-based assessment in communications and mathematics.
- Following a successful outcome to the assessment, applicants will be invited for interview, and are expected to bring evidence of recent and relevant work experience, such as work placements in clinics, surgeries, hospitals or residential homes etc before starting the course.
- Equivalent overseas qualifications will be considered
- IELTS 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or equivalent
Medicine and Dentistry applicants need to have been out of education for more than 3 years.
- You must take the UKCAT at an independent centre before starting the course, and have obtained a score of at least 630 , with a minimum of 550 in each section.
- You will also need GCSE English and Maths, grade B or above, or equivalent. You are advised to check the entry criteria for the individual universities, as these vary and some may require grades higher than a 'B'.
You will study modules in Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths, as well additional units in Study Skills. The science units are graded to pass, merit or distinction whilst the study skills units are ungraded. Students cannot resit units to achieve upgrades.
Assessment is both continuous throughout the course, and based on written examinations. You will achieve a diploma in 'Access to H.E. Medicine and Medical Biosciences'. The course is 'kite marked' and awarded by OCNL (Open College Network London). The course is fully approved by OCNL and QAA and follows their rules and guidelines.
Students have progressed to Higher Education courses in medicine, dentistry, radiography, optometry, nursing, pharmacology, biomedicine, biology, genetics, nutrition, dietetics, psychology, physiotherapy.
Studied: Medicine & Medical Bio Sciences - Access to Higher Education Diploma
Destination: Optometry, Manchester University
“I have enjoyed my experience here. The Access course has enabled me to have the opportunity to go to university to study Optometry, something which I didn’t think would be possible having not gained any A levels. The teachers and staff are so friendly and helpful which has helped me to feel comfortable returning to education. “
Select your preferred start date
Come to an Open Day
Thinking about studying with us? Come and meet staff and students, and see for yourself what we can offer you.
Centre for Applied Sciences
In the heart of Angel, this Centre offers you the chance to study Medicine, Pharmacy, Optometry, Sport Science, Forensics, Vet Sciences and Engineering.
How to apply
Applying for a course with us couldn't be easier, just click the 'Add to basket' button and fill out your details. Find out more here.