AAT Accounting and Payroll Introduction - Level 1 Award in Payroll
About the course
The IAB starts from Level 1 with our payroll qualifications. This means you can start with the basics and build your knowledge. With both computerised payroll qualifications which focus purely on using a computerised payroll software to ‘Payroll’ qualifications which offers a comprehensive look at payroll across the levels.
The IAB Level 1 Award in Payroll is suitable for:
• Individuals who are keen to gain an understanding of basic payroll procedures and also those who wish to become professional payroll processors.
• Individuals who are new to payroll and who wish to acquire the skills and knowledge required of payroll clerks prior to employment.
• Individuals who wish to understand the PAYE system in a computerised environment for their own interest.
• Individuals who would like to return to work and wish to add a basic understanding of computerised payroll to their skills.
• Individuals who are already employed in payroll processing or allied roles and wish to augment this knowledge with an accredited qualification in computerised payroll
A reasonable standard of maths and English is expected and you must be computer literate.
Please note, students have to be over 19 at the beginning of the academic year to be able to enrol on this course at level 1.
This qualification is made up of the following units:
Principles of Computerised Payroll Preparation
•Understand legislation in relation to computerised payroll and the role of the employer
•Understand the information required to prepare and submit an employee payroll record under Real Time Information regulations
•Understand what constitutes gross pay for different payroll periods
•Understand the principles of the PAYE & NIC systems in the UK
•Understand the difference between statutory and voluntary deductions
•Understand the internal and external procedures required for finalising the payroll under Real Time Information regulations
•Be able to set up a computerised payroll system using commercially available payroll software
•Be able to set up employee records and payroll data on a computerised payroll system
•Be able to enter details of gross pay into the computerised payroll system
•Be able to process the payroll
•Be able to back up and/or restore payroll data
This qualification is made up of:
Online Knowledge Test
Online Knowledge tests are a series of independent short answer questions made up of multiple choice, gap fill, and true or false type questions. They are assessed via IAB Online and are open book. This might be taken in class or at home
Online Assignments are also assessed via IAB Online and are also open book. These are taken in class or at home and are short case study type questions with several tasks for each case study
Upon successful completion of this qualification you could move onto one of the following:
•Level 2 Award in Computerised Payroll
•Level 2 Certificate in Payroll
Further Information 1
If you require any further information please visit our awarding body website
For IAB details, ring 01732 458080 or visit www.iab.org.uk. or please contact our customer team.