Digital Media Design FdA
About the course
UCAS Code: W283 (View this course on UCAS) | UCAS Institution Code: L68
If you are looking for a digital media course in London, this Foundation Degree is ideal. It is for those wishing to pursue a career in media design and production, as well as those who already have some knowledge and experience of design or media production and want to enter the industry.
This course develops the skills you need for a range of careers, including graphic design, digital content production project management, art direction and web development.
- Gain practical work experience with companies such as Rubbaglove Design, National Army Museum and Virgin Media
- Learn from a course team with professional experience in graphic design, film making, animation, web design, 3D and interactive work
- Develop skills for professional life including pitching to real customers
64 UCAS points from one, or a combination of the following:
- A Levels in related subjects at Grade C
- BTEC National or Extended Diploma at MPP
- BTEC Level 3 National Certificate or Diploma at M
- A portfolio of relevant work
- 4 GCSEs at Grade C or above including Maths and English. Please note, Functional Skills Maths and English at Level 2 or Key Skills Application of Number and Communication at Level 2 will be accepted in place of GCSE English and Maths.
- Students for which English is a second language are required to pass the IELTS test achieving a minimum of level 6.
Applicants who do not meet these entry criteria will be considered based on equivalent qualifications, previous experience, a College assessment, applicant interview and a portfolio of relevant work.
This course develops technical and commercial skills for careers in publishing, web-based media, and the broadcast, games and advertising industries. Balancing technical skill and creative process, it builds understanding across an integrated set of modules delivering a holistic programme rather than optional modules.
Developed in consultation with Rubbaglove Design, you will work on real design briefs and receive industry feedback.
You will develop skills in media production in year 1 and apply them in year 2, focussing on your specialised area or areas of interest.
You will participate in practical workshops, seminars and tutorials.
You will work in a brand new photo studio, a Mac suite with Adobe CS, a PC suite with 3D Studio Max and Maya and a radio broadcast centre. You will use equipment such as HD video cameras, Roland audio products, Nikon DSLR cameras and animation rostrums.
- Visual Communication
- Graphic Design
- Moving Image
- Web Design & Integrated Media
- Work-based Learning and Professional Practice
- Interactive and Mobile Devices
- 3D Modelling and Animation
- Digital Culture
- Specialist Research and Practice
Find out more about the course content, aims and outcomes: Download the course specification [PDF]
Assessment is by module coursework, practical project work, written assignments and communication skills developed through presentations.
You will get a Foundation Degree in Digital Media Design.
Successful completion of the course enables you to progress to the third year of BA (Hons) Digital Media at London Metropolitan University and pursue careers such as: Graphic Designer, Web Designer, Art Director, Interactive designer.