About the course
UCAS Code: W500 (View this course on UCAS) | UCAS Institution Code: L68
If you are looking for a dance course in London and are a dancer or performer with some understanding of dance or performance training and/or experience in the field, this course is ideal. You may already be working in the industry and want to ground your skills with a formal qualification. This exciting course works in partnership with IRIE! dance theatre, providing a range of opportunities to experience working with a professional dance company. These include auditioning for Connectingvibes, the performance company based at the College, and opportunities to take part in key industry events such as the Re: Generations Conference and the National Dance Festival of Grenada - read about this year's trip here
- Gain valuable experience of working with a professional dance company
- Increase your career opportunities by developing skills across a range of dance genres
- Benefit from state-of-the-art facilities, including fully-equipped studios and a 100-seat theatre
- Participate in practical dance technique classes and choreographic workshops with resident lecturers and guest artistes
- Attend lectures, tutorials and dance performances, and work on independent and group creative projects
- Gain work experience with organisations such as The Kosh, Lewisham Youth Theatre and The Association of Dance of the African Diaspora, (ADAD)
64 UCAS points from one, or a combination of the following:
- A Levels in a related subject at Grade C
- BTEC National or Extended Diploma at MPP
- BTEC Level 3 National Certificate or Diploma at MM
- Access to Higher Education qualification (subject related) at Pass
- All applicants will have an audition and interview as part of the selection process.
- 4 GCSEs at Grade C or above including English. Please note, English at Level 2 or Key Skills Communication at Level 2 will be accepted in place of GCSE English.
- Students for which English is a second language are required to pass the IELTS test achieving a minimum of level 6.
Applicants who do not meet these entry criteria will be considered based on previous industry experience.
You will acquire a thorough grounding in African, Caribbean, Urban and Contemporary dance, and gain the skills and knowledge to build a career in areas such as dance performance, education or community arts.
You will study Choreography, Dance History and Arts Management, as well as exploring the innovative theory and practice of fusion in the selected dance genres.
- Contemporary and Urban Dance Technique
- African and Caribbean Dance Technique
- Tools of Choreography
- Academic Skills
- Creating Performance Work
- Historical and Critical Analysis
- Contemporary and Urban Dance Technique Repertoire and Analysis
- African and Caribbean Dance Technique Repertoire and Cultural Context
- Critical and Contextual Studies
- Choreographic Fusion
- Contemporary and Urban Dance Performance
- African and Caribbean Dance Performance
- Arts Management
- Professional Experience Project
Find out more about the course content, aims and outcomes: Download the course specification [PDF]
You will be assessed through coursework, project work, written assignments and on your performances.
You will get a Foundation Degree Art in Dance.
Successful completion of the course enables you to progress to the 3rd year of BA (Hons) Dance: Urban Practice at the University of East London.
Students have also progressed to Kingston, Coventry and Winchester University and joined the BA in Professional Practice at Middlesex University.
You will be able to pursue a career in areas such as dance performance, choreography, education or community arts.