Certificate in Mortgage Advice and Practice (CeMAP®)
About the course
The Certificate in Mortgage Advice and Practice (CeMAP) is a QCF Level 3 UK specific qualification for mortgage advisers accredited by the Institute of Financial Services which meets the standards required by the Financial Conduct Authority to achieve a 'licence to practice' and work as a mortgage adviser.
As the premier mortgage qualification, CeMAP® is firmly established as the qualification of choice in the financial services industry, and widely regarded as the industry benchmark qualification.
Employers from across the sector are involved in the development of CeMAP®, which ensures the content provides students with the knowledge required to meet future career and regulatory requirements. CeMAP® consists of three modules that enable you to develop extensive knowledge and understanding of:
- the mortgage market with a focus on the range of protection and mortgage products
- UK financial regulation, mortgages policy and practice and how to apply this as effective mortgage advice to the consumer
- the current technical language, tools, methods and practices of mortgage advice to enable effective financial decision-making
- the mortgage market and its need to respond to the constantly changing economic, legal and regulatory environment
The course runs two evenings per week (Tue and Thursdays) and will also run on 5 Saturdays (21st Jan, 25th Feb, 25th Mar, 29th Apr and 27th May 9:30 ¿ 16:30).
There are no specified entry requirements. However, individuals need to be satisfied of their ability to study in English at Level 3.
The qualification comprises seven mandatory units that are studied and assessed in three modules as follows:
- Unit 1 - Introduction to Financial Services Environment and Products
- Unit 2 - UK Financial Services and Regulation
- Unit 3 - Mortgage Law, Policy, Practice and Markets
- Unit 4 - Mortgage Applications
- Unit 5 - Mortgage Payment Methods and Products
- Unit 6 - Mortgage Arrears and Post Completion Issues Module 3
- Unit 7 - Assessment of Mortgage Advice and Knowledge
Module 1 is assessed as one two hour exam. ITFS and UKFS each comprise a one hour objective test with 50 multiple-choice questions each.
Module 2 is assessed as one two hour exam. MLPP, MAPP, MPMP and MAPC each comprise a 30 minute objective test with 25 multiple-choice questions.
ASSM (Module 3) comprises a 2 hour objective test with 6 case studies each with 10 multiple-choice questions
The Institute of Financial Services offers CeMAP holders a higher level Diploma in Mortgage Advice and Practice (DipMAP) and existing mortgage advisers certificates in Regulated Equity Release (CeRER), Regulated Complaints Handling (CeRCH) and Regulated General Insurance (CeRGI).
Further Information 2