Bookkeeping & Accounts - AAT Level 1
About the course
The aim of this qualification is to introduce you to key single-entry manual bookkeeping skills.
As a standalone qualification, or as a first step towards the intermediate and advanced levels, it will allow you to move up to further study in bookkeeping, accountancy or computerised accounts.
Benefits of studying this qualification:
- Specialised, transferable and recognisable career-boosting skills
- Clear progression to your choice of great careers
- Spreadsheet software to enhance your job prospects
- Industry-recognised qualification
- Flexible computer-based assessments
- Stepping-stone to AAT Accounting Qualification or AAT Computerised Accounting qualifications
This qualification will suit you if:
- You'd like a solid introduction to bookkeeping - or just a refresher
- You need bookkeeping skills for your business
- You're interested in running bookkeeping services for local businesses
- You are not currently in employment or training and you need workplace skills
- You would like to acquire new skills to help with a change in your career
Introduction to bookkeeping:
- Understanding the job role and career path for a bookkeeper
- Understanding different types of business organisations
- Knowing the terminology used in bookkeeping
Working within bookkeeping:
- Understanding single-entry bookkeeping
- Knowing the general principles of VAT
- Understanding what is meant by both cash and credit transactions
- Understanding the principles of coding and batch control
- Understanding how to process information in the books of prime entry (excluding the journal)
- Understanding responsibilities when working in a bookkeeping environment
Bookkeeping and accounts:
- Knowing how to complete financial documents
- Recording cash and credit transactions in books of original entry
- Preparing bank reconciliation
- Understanding the petty cash imprest system
- Extracting a trial balance from ledger accounts
- Using a spreadsheet to enter, edit and organise numerical and other data
- Using appropriate formulas and tools to summarise and display spreadsheet information
- Selecting and using appropriate tools and techniques to present spreadsheet information effectively
There are two assessments, both computer-based.
After successfully completing Level 1 AAT Award in Bookkeeping you can study:
- Level 2 AAT Award in Bookkeeping
- Level 1 AAT Computerised Accounts
On the course I learnt about social enterprise, not-for-profit business and how to become an entrepreneur
Studied: Access to Higher Education Diploma in Business.
Now: Progressed to a business degree at City University and is now running his own business
“On the course I learnt about social enterprise, not-for-profit business and how to become an entrepreneur. I decided that I wanted to start a business not just to make money, but to help people. I had not heard of access courses before, but they are an amazing and intensive route to university for people like me who want a career change.”
Matthias has now launched his own business selling brightly patterned shirts to raise money to help train local teachers in Burma.
How to apply
Applying for a course with us couldn't be easier, just click the 'Add to basket' button and fill out your details. Find out more here.
Centre for Lifelong Learning
On the doorstep of Finsbury Park this Centre specialises in adult education, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Literacy and Numeracy, IT and Teacher Training.