Biology A Level
About the course
Over the two years of the course, you will study a unit of core concepts, three further components (energy for life, continuity of life, requirements for life) and one optional module. Together they cover subjects ranging from DNA, genetics and cells to whole organisms and ecosystems. The course includes up-to-date issues such as epigenetics, stem cells and planetary boundaries. We follow the Eduqas curriculum which combines the in-depth study of a broad range of biological principles and rigorous assessment.
A Level Biology includes a substantial practical element. You will carry out a number of significant practical activities relating to topics including microbiology, genetics, biochemistry and ecology. Your practical skills will be assessed in the college and will lead to an endorsed certificate awarded alongside the A level Biology qualification.
You must satisfy the general entry criteria for A Level courses, which are based on your GCSE results
In addition, you must have:
• Grade 5/C or above in GCSE English Language
• Grade 5/C or above in GCSE Mathematics
• Grade 6/B or above in both GCSE Core and Additional Science
• If you are studying triple science you need at least a grade 6/B in the related science and one other science subject
• It is advisable to take another Science (Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Psychology, Electronics) along with Biology/Psychology
• Equivalent overseas qualifications will be considered.
• IELTS 5.5 (with a minimum of 5.0 in each skill) or equivalent.
Over the two year course the following core concepts will be taught:
- How Chemical elements are joined together to form biological compounds
- Cell structure and organisation
- Cell membranes and transport
- Biological reactions are regulated by enzymes
- Nucleic acids and their functions
Assessment is through examination at the end of two years.
A-level Biology prepares you for Higher Education courses in; medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, pharmacy, pharmacology, biochemistry, biomedical science or clinical psychology.
This was an amazing experience which I would never get to see on an open day
Studied: A Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths
Now studying Medicine at UCL
When Abdel was seven years old his family sought political asylum in the UK from Libya. He struggled with English at first, but has now become a high performing academic student whilst growing up in an unemployed household and caring for his mum and younger siblings. Always fascinated by medicine, this year Abdel achieved an A* and 2 As in his A Levels and is now studying medicine at UCL with the ambition of becoming a humanitarian aid doctor.
“I was so happy with my results. I cannot thank my tutors enough. Through the College’s careers service I have been going to lectures at UCL this year to get a taste for it. This was an amazing experience which I would never get to see on an open day.”
Select your preferred start date
How to apply for a course
Applying for a course with us couldn't be easier, just click the 'Add to basket' button and fill out your details. Find out more here.
A Level entry requirements
Our Sixth Form College has a 25 year track record of delivering success. Over 30 A Levels are on offer from Physics to History of Art.
Sixth Form College
Based in vibrant Angel, the Sixth Form College has a 25 year track record of delivering success. There are over 30 A Levels on offer from Dance to History of Art to Science.