Biology A Level
About the course
Biology asks important questions about the living world:
- Why do some people become ill and others don't?
- How does a single fertilised egg cell develop into an entire organism?
- What impact will global warming have on plants, animals and other species?
Combining practical lab-work and experiments with rigorous study into the nature of life on earth, Biology is a fascinating area of study at A Level.
- You must satisfy the general entry criteria for A Level courses which are based on your GCSE results.
- Grade 5 or above in GCSE English Language
- Grade 6 or above in GCSE Mathematics
- Grade B or above in both GCSE Core and Additional Science
- It is advisable to take another Science (Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Psychology, Electronics) along with Biology
- Equivalent overseas qualifications will be considered.
- IELTS 5.5 (with a minimum of 5.0 in each skill) or equivalent.
A Level Biology includes a substantial practical element. You will carry out a number of significant practical activities relating to topics including microbiology, genetics, animal behaviour and ecology. Your practical skills will be assessed in the college and will lead to an endorsed certificate awarded alongside your A Level.
You'll be assessed by exams at the end of the course. Some questions will relate to the practical work you have done during the course.
Taken as one of three A Levels, Biology can take you to a university course of your choice. Taken with another Science A Level and/or with Maths, this course will allow you to specialise in Science at Higher Level.
This was an amazing experience which I would never get to see on an open day
Studied: A Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths
Now studying Medicine at UCL
When Abdel was seven years old his family sought political asylum in the UK from Libya. He struggled with English at first, but has now become a high performing academic student whilst growing up in an unemployed household and caring for his mum and younger siblings. Always fascinated by medicine, this year Abdel achieved an A* and 2 As in his A Levels and is now studying medicine at UCL with the ambition of becoming a humanitarian aid doctor.
“I was so happy with my results. I cannot thank my tutors enough. Through the College’s careers service I have been going to lectures at UCL this year to get a taste for it. This was an amazing experience which I would never get to see on an open day.”
Select your preferred start date
How to apply for a course
Applying for a course with us couldn't be easier, just click the 'Add to basket' button and fill out your details. Find out more here.
A Level entry requirements
Our Sixth Form College has a 25 year track record of delivering success. Over 30 A Levels are on offer from Physics to History of Art.
Sixth Form College
Based in vibrant Angel, the Sixth Form College has a 25 year track record of delivering success. There are over 30 A Levels on offer from Dance to History of Art to Science.