Accounting (AAT Access) - AAT Level 1 Award
About the course
The aim of this qualification is to cover basic core areas of working within a business environment. Focusing on fundamental finance and accounting skills and developing your professional business skills.
The practical approach will increase your employability, confidence and career prospects. It also gives you the perfect platform for you to take the next step and go on to further studies.
Benefits of studying this qualification:
- Short and robust qualification, which helps you quickly gain new skills to help you enter the workforce
- An introduction to a wide range of business and financial practices and terms
- Excellent career progression with opportunities to study other AAT qualifications
- You're currently seeking employment and looking for strong new skills to take to the workplace
- English is your second language and you want to build on your business communication skills
- You're looking to complete a short qualification before committing to a larger study programme
Mathematics for accounting:
- Understanding and developing skills in a range of basic mathematical functions using financial data
- Understanding basic mathematical concepts and applying a range of numerical skills required by financial professionals
Essential accounting procedures:
- Applying basic accounting terminology to business documents and procedures
- Understanding the principles of single-entry accounting systems, including preparing to record business transactions in the books of prime entry
- Identify types of coding and batch control
- Preparing documents to process receipts and payments
- Preparing a basic profit statement
Creating business documents:
- Understanding which documents should be used within the accountancy function and other areas of business
- Understanding the importance of good quality communications, including knowledge of formal and informal written communications
- Identifying different types of business documents and understanding why it is important to choose the right style for internal and external communications
Accounting in a professional environment:
- Understanding how efficient working practices and personal development will help both individuals and business to succeed
- Appreciating how the legal framework and ethical behaviour affect the way a business is run
There is one assessment for all four units and it is computer-based.
After successfully completing entry level AAT Access you can study:
- Introductory - Award in Bookkeeping
- Introductory - Award in Computerised Accounting
“Being at Plan UK has exposed me to a variety of departments which has allowed me to gain a wider understanding of what my future career could entail."
Studied: BTEC Diploma in Business Administration
While working as a HR Apprentice at Plan UK, Reece plans to use the skills he has learnt through his apprenticeship to work his way up in his next position.
“Being at Plan UK has exposed me to a variety of departments which has allowed me to gain a wider understanding of what my future career could entail. I am involved in everything from recruitment to payroll.
“The best part about getting an apprenticeship scheme is getting paid while working towards a qualification and, for me, knowing that there’s a job at the end of it. My short term goal is to get a permanent role for job security after my apprenticeship ends while utilising my skills learnt at Plan to progress in the longer term.
"My tutor at the College, Ravinder Sokhal, has been instrumental in offering support with getting a job after my contract expires.”
How to apply
Applying for a course with us couldn't be easier, just click the 'Add to basket' button and fill out your details. Find out more here.
Centre for Lifelong Learning
On the doorstep of Finsbury Park this Centre specialises in adult education, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Literacy and Numeracy, IT and Teacher Training.